Sunday, November 8, 2015

Days 65 and 66



Day 65: Sky on fire

We the picture attached to this entry will say it all really but I'll share some thoughts anyway.  We did the usual thing today.  Paddle 43 miles, saw some barges, found a sand bar.  The only thing and it was quiet a thing was the sun set! Whoa!  It was freaking epic, and that's saying somthing considering the sun sets we have seen on this trip.  It filled the sky, I mean really filled it.  To the sand bar we were camped on covered our view of the trees behind and to our sides so the sky went to the ground.  It was firey oranges, reds and a deep deep purple.  We oohed, ahhed and giggled like litter kids as the hues of the setting sun changed.  We sat in silence and complete awe of this great scene.  Then ate a crappy bowl of instant potatoes and went to sleep.




Day 66

Paddled a short 27 miles to Curuthersville, TN.  Why only 27 miles and why to Curuthersville?  Well because it is from here that we will be launching out bid to paddle 100 miles in less than 24 hours, but there will be more to come about this later.  Anyway as we approached Curuthersville we saw a small object moving quickly across the eddy line on the right side of the river.  I assumed it was just a large piece of wood swirling around in a whirlpool which often happens.  However, as we approached it was clear that it was a deer.  Now I know deer swim but what could have been so appealing on the far shore line or so terrifying on the near side that motivated it to cross a very swift moving part of the river?  I don't know and never will but it was moving quick and I couldn't help but be impressed.  Anyway we stopped in Curuthersville to get water and charge our phones at a pavilion next to the boat landing.  As I walked into town a man pulled up at the intersection I was nearing and asked what I intended to put in that jug.  I told him water and he said I would be hard pressed to find a spot within walking diatance.  His name was George and he would bring me to his place and I could fill up my jug there.  He told me all about the town and how before Walmart came to town that there were dozens of long standing and successful businesses in town but they had to close because they couldn't compete.  After he dropped me back at the boat landing we thanked him, loaded up the canoe and paddled across to a nice sandbar where we will take a rest day tomorrow.


Dave and George Pierce. Helped us get water also Steve helped too 


Reggie found a new spot to lounge in the sun! 

biggest Barge we seen yet! 7x6

2 comments:

  1. Really awesome sunsets. Wish we could come paddle a bit with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that amazing sunset! Love sunsets like that!

    ReplyDelete