Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Day 83

Today we woke up and packed up camp!
However before I go into any further detail about the day I feel obligated to briefly explain last nights goings on.  So at approximately 1am Amanda shouted to me something along the line of "oh my god what's that noise!  There is something out there!"  I can't remember exactly because I was immediately woken up my the loud crashing of heavy feet on dry leaves, a very bright light, and what sounded like a barge about to crash into our tent!  I jumped up (well atleast as much as one can jump in a tent) and peered outside to see what sort mechanical golem was about to eat us alive.  What I saw was far less interesting and as such far more annoying.  The American Queen Steam boat had anchored along the shore and several boatmen where rigging the moorings for the gigantic boat to several onshore points and the giant sycamore tree next to our camp. During which the for some reason felt the need to point their giangantic spot light directly on our tent.  I watched for a short time then went to bed.  Ok so now about today; it felt great to be getting ready to be back on the river, although I was a bit nervous about how well my back would hold up.  After packing down camp Margeaux picked us up and we headed to Wallgreens to get the medication for my back.  After that we went back to Steam Punk for a delicious quiche and coffee breakfast.  We sat at the table enjoying each other's company one last time. It's  suprising how close we felt to Margeaux and Ramsy after knowing them for such a short time.  Before heading back to the boat landing we said goodbye to Margeaux exchanged contact info and we were off.  When we got back Ramsy helped us carry our gear down to the water and filled up our jug. We said goodbye to another friend and then we were off.  The first 15 minutes of paddling were anxious and slow as concern for my back getting worse filled my head.  After a while I had figure out ways to adjust my stroke and Amanda was so helpful.  She was very supportive and her skills as a paddler allowed me to relax and have her help more with the steering of the boat.  The winds had picked up significantly and we had already agreed only to go a short distance because of my back, so after only 2.5 hours we stopped for the day.  Despite our short day we still managed 18 miles.  At camp I iced my back while Amanda set up.  Early to bed tonight and with any luck we will make it a good ways tomorrow.  Oh and to answer your question Julie Archer, We usually eat at places with outdoor seating and some coffee shops and bars, most in fact, allow Reggie to come in.  If we are with a river angel we just leave him in the car which Reggie does well with of course because he is a proper gentleman.  Oh one last thing.  The moon was beautiful tonight, check it out below!


1 comment: